What are the main benefits of occupational therapy?
It’s not a straightforward task to list the benefits as each patient (child, young adult, adult, senior adult) will require a programme of treatment tailored to their unique circumstances. Having said that, in general, the treatment programme will improve the abilities of the patient in a variety of ways, depending on their individual goals.
The occupational therapist may provide:
- Help with motor development to improve the ability to dress, shower, eat, and groom
- Support to participate in activities at work or school, such as writing
- Help with techniques to self-regulate for people with behavioural disorders
- Support to perform household management such as cleaning and budgeting
- Support to make driving possible
- Identification and purchase of mobility equipment such as wheelchairs and ramps
- Information to help with confidence building and social participation
- Help to improve hand eye coordination to improve ability in sports and leisure activities